Bolnhurst village church photo gallery, architecture Bedfordshire - Katey Jane Photography


Bolnhurst village church Bedfordshire

The Church of England parish church of St Dunstan is about 2⁄5 mile (1 km) southwest of the current village. The earliest part of the present building is the 13th-century chancel. The chancel arch and three of the nave windows are 14th-century, including a three-light Decorated Gothic traceried one on the south side. But most of the nave is now Perpendicular Gothic, including two transomed and traceried windows on the north side.  Inside the nave over the north door is the remains of a large medieval wall painting of St Christopher. In the northeast corner of the nave are monuments to two members of the Francklin family: John (died 1707) and Dame Dorothy (died 1727).  St Dunstan's is a Grade II* listed building.  The ecclesiastical parish is part of the Benefice of Keysoe with Bolnhurst and Little Staughton. The tower has a ring of four bells. John Dier of Hitchin, Hertfordshire cast the second and third bells in 1587. One of the Newcombe family of bellfounders from Leicester cast the tenor bell in 1618. Alfred Bowell of Ipswich, Suffolk cast the treble bell in 1907.

Note watermarks are only for website only, purchased images are free of the watermarks.


Browse all homepages


Powered by SmugMug Log In